For me it started about 3 years ago when I picked up a virus, and turned back from a mud rescue seminar at Blackpool. I was violently ill, constantly vomiting for a day. As I am a self confessed workaholic and feeling better the following day I returned to work and continued my 16 hour plus working days. A few months later I started to feel fatigued, had palpitations of the heart, breathlessness, and chest pains. Reluctantly I went to the doctors, but after several tests they could find nothing wrong. I suddenly started to feel better so started overdoing it again.
Attending my regular blood donation session I was found to be anaemic, and again suffered many tests to find a cause before I was treated with massive doses of iron over the Christmas period.
I then felt better and continued as normal.
Doctor Doctor go away
I am not sick and can not pay
I have no symptoms to diagnose
Don't healthy people get up your nose!
The following year I had two operations on the wrists for carpal tunnel decompression. Once again worked flat out to catch up at work. Six months later I crashed spectacularly being unable to function spending most time in bed and unable to work. That was just over a year ago, and I am now making some progress but tend to over do it and go back a few months. I am about to move house so I am not really functioning properly.
The symptoms are debilitating. I have constant headaches, confused thinking, and malaise, with a lack of short-term memory. When I tire the pain starts in the neck then the chest and all lymph nodes. Forcing me to rest. Whilst resting my body twitches and I have disturbed sleep and insomnia. When I dream, not often, they tend to be nightmares waking with night sweats. I have no control over my temperature, shivering when hot and sweating when cold. When I exert myself the heart rate slows down not speeds up and stops me doing what I was doing. My partner Kathy notices the changes before I do and packs me off to bed( alone).
The result is I seldom keep in touch with friends, and my writing is almost non existent, although I am trying to complete a radio play, and finish off the short stories and novel.
Moral of the story if you contact a virus rest rest rest.
Any one with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, or ME let me know how you are doing
Some see black some see white
For their views they war and fight
Those that live in shades of grey
It pays to listen to what they say
Pax vobiscum
Derek

No comments:
Post a Comment